Field Workshops of the Eurasian Dry Grassland Group (EDGG) are research expeditions aimed at collecting high-quality biodiversity data in different types of grasslands throughout the Palaearctic Region (Dengler et al. 2021). This dataset contains 5497 occurrences of 563 species (466 vascular plants, 51 bryophytes, 46 lichens) recorded in 239 vegetation plots during the 15th EDGG Field Workshop in Southern Ukraine (Moysiyenko et al. 2022). The sampled locations represent different types of grasslands, including steppes, inland sandy vegetation, coastal dunes, meadows and saline grasslands. The nomenclature of the dataset follows “Nomenclatural Checklist of vascular plants of Ukraine” (Mosyakin & Fedoronchuk 1999), “An annotated checklist of bryophytes of Europe, Macaronesia and Cyprus” (Hodgetts et al. 2020), and “The fourth checklist of Ukrainian Lichen-forming and lichenicolous fungi with analysis of current additions” (Kondratyuk et al. 2021), with minor edits.
The data in this sampling event resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 239 records.
2 extension data tables also exist. An extension record supplies extra information about a core record. The number of records in each extension data table is illustrated below.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Moysiyenko I, Vynokurov D, Borovyk D, Skobel N, Babitskyi A, Bednarska I, Bezsmertna O, Chusova O, Dengler J, Guarino R, Kalashnik K, Khodosovtsev A, Kolomiychuk V, Kucher O, Kuzemko A, Shapoval V, Umanets O, Zagorodniuk N, Zakharova M, Dembicz I (2023): Records of vascular plants, bryophytes and lichens from the 15th EDGG Field Workshop “Grasslands and coastal habitats of Southern Ukraine”. v1.3. Kherson State University. Dataset/Samplingevent. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=15fieldworkshopedggukraine&v=1.3
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Kherson State University. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 5eb9d316-3b09-414c-ad57-e57b206c354b. Kherson State University publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
Samplingevent; biodiversity; bryophyta; coastal habitat; grassland; lichen; sandy grassland; steppe; Ukraine; vascular plant.
Kherson and Mykolaiv regions, Southern Ukraine.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [46.027, 31.465], North East [47.562, 35.134]|
Vascular plants (Plantae, Tracheophyta - Polypodiopsida, Gnetopsida, Liliopsida, Magnoliopsida), Mosses (Plantae - Bryophyta, Marchantiophyta), Lichens (Fungi, Ascomycota).
|Phylum||Tracheophyta, Bryophyta, Marchantiophyta, Ascomycota|
|Class||Polypodiopsida, Gnetopsida, Liliopsida, Magnoliopsida|
|Start Date / End Date||2021-05-24 / 2021-06-03|
This dataset was created during the data mobilisation from across Northern Eurasia, initiated by GBIF in collaboration with the Finnish Biodiversity Information Facility (FinBIF) and Pensoft. The Field Workshop for data collection was organised and funded by the Eurasian Dry Grassland Group (EDGG) and the Department of Botany of Kherson State University. N.Z. conducted the identification of bryophytes with the support of the EDGG Small Grant Program. The data processing and publication were funded by “Documenting of phytodiversity of nature protected areas of Lower Dnipro region” (CPEA-LT-2017/10049) and the NCN scholarship programme for Ukrainian students and young researchers (N.S.nr 2021/01/4/NZ9/00078) in collaboration with University of Warsaw and by the project the Rufford Foundation N 34873-1 "Open biodiversity data: serving nature conservation in Ukraine" (I.M.). The work of D.S. was supported by the Visegrad Fund (Scholarship #52010644) and the Scholarship program of Masaryk University.
|Title||Northern Eurasia 2022|
|Study Area Description||Southern Ukraine (Mykolaiv and Kherson regions)|
The personnel involved in the project:
To obtain this dataset, we sampled 239 plots which had an area of 10 m2 (175 plots), 100 m2 (49 plots) and 1000 m2 (15 plots). The plots of larger size (100 and 1000 m2) which include smaller plots are marked as parent events in the Event Core. Sampling locations were chosen to cover different types of natural and seminatural open grassland habitats within the study area. In each plot, we recorded occurrences of vascular plants (shoot presence), all terricolous soil-growing bryophytes and lichens. For several plots, epiphytic lichens on woody plants were also registered. For each 10-m2 plot, several environmental and structural parameters were recorded: cover of vegetation layers and of litter, rocks, slope, aspect, inclination, shrub layer height and herb layer height. Additionally, the complete relevés with 7-8 nested-plot biodiversity series collected during the 15th EDGG Field Workshop following the EDGG methodology (Dengler et al. 2021) are available in the GrassPlot database (Dengler et al. 2018).
|Study Extent||The dataset contains co-occurrences of vascular plants, bryophytes and lichens recorded during the 15th EDGG Field Workshop in Southern Ukraine. The study area is situated in the central-southern part of the Black Sea Lowland in the southern part of the steppe zone of Ukraine, in Kherson and Mykolaiv administrative regions. During the sampling, we surveyed the following protected areas: Black Sea Biosphere Reserve, Azov-Syvash National Nature Park, Dzharylgach National Nature Park, Biloberezhzhia Sviatoslava National Nature Park, Oleshkivski Pisky National Nature Park, Kamianska Sich National Nature Park.|
|Quality Control||Some specimens of the vascular plants and almost all lichens and mosses were collected as herbarium for determination and verification after the fieldwork. After digitizing the data, we harmonised the taxonomic information according to the nomenclature sources: for vascular plants - Nomenclatural Checklist of vascular plants of Ukraine (Mosyakin & Fedoronchuk 1999), for bryophytes - An annotated checklist of bryophytes of Europe, Macaronesia and Cyprus (Hodgetts et al. 2020), and for lichens – The fourth checklist of Ukrainian Lichen-forming and lichenicolous fungi with analysis of current additions (Kondratyuk et al. 2021). Then we used GBIF Backbone Taxonomy (GBIF species matching tool: https://www.gbif.org/tools/species-lookup) for the taxonomic check and implemented minor corrections of species names regarding misprints and problematic taxa to avoid misinterpretation. We additionally checked and verified the header data of vegetation plots (Event Core and GBIF Relevé Extension, Occurrence Extension) using OpenRefine (https://openrefine.org/), R (R Core Team 2022) and QGIS 3.22 (https://qgis.org) for quality control.|
Method step description:
- Site selection, field research.
- Identification of herbarium specimens of vascular plants, lichens, bryophytes.
- Digitizing the field data forms.
- Data checking and cleaning.
- Transformation of the dataset according to the Darwin Core standards.
- Taxonomic check, final quality control.
- Dengler, J., Wagner, V., Dembicz, I., García-Mijangos, I., Naqinezhad, A., Boch, S., Chiarucci, A., Conradi C., … & Biurrun, I. 2018. GrassPlot – a database of multi-scale plant diversity in Palaearctic grasslands. Phytocoenologia 48: 331–347. 10.1127/phyto/2018/0267
- Dengler I., Biurrun I., Dembicz I. 2021. Standardised EDGG methodology for sampling grassland diversity: second amendment. Palaearctic Grasslands 49: 22–26. 10.21570/EDGG.PG.49.22-26
- Hodgetts N., Söderström L., Blockeel T., Caspari S., Ignatov N., Konstantinova N., Lockhart B., Papp C., Schröck M., Sim-Sim D., Bell N., Bell H., Blom M., Bruggeman-Nannenga M., Brugués J., Enroth K., Flatberg R., Garilleti L., Hedenäs D., Roseggergasse U. 2020. An annotated checklist of bryophytes of Europe, Macaronesia and Cyprus. Journal of Bryology 42: 1–116. 10.1080/03736687.2019.1694329
- Khodosovtsev A., Darmostuk V., Dembicz I., Dengler J., Moysiyenko I., Kuzemko A. 2022. Сircinaria drygrasslandii sp. nova, a new species from sand dunes of the Lower Dnipro valley (Ukraine). Lichenologist. In press.
- Kondratyuk S.Ya., Popova L.P., Khodosovtsev O.Y., Lőkös L., Fedorenko N.M., Kapets N.V. 2021. The fourth checklist of Ukrainian Lichen-forming and lichenicolous fungi with analysis of current additions. Acta Botanica Hungarica 63 (1–2): 97–163. 10.1556/034.63.2021.1-2.8
- Moysiyenko I.I., Umanets O.Yu., Dengler J., Guarino R., Dembicz I., Kucher O.O. 2022. Torilis pseudonodosa Bianca (Apiaceae) – new species for the flora of Ukraine. Chornomorski Botanical Journal 17 (4): 331–338. 10.32999/ksu1990-553X/2021-17-4-3
- Moysiyenko I., Vynokurov D., Shyriaieva D., Skobel N., Babitskyi A., Bednarska I., Bezsmertna O., Chusova O., Dengler J., Ruarino R., Kalashnik K., Khodosovtsev A., Kolomiychuk V., Kucher O., Kuzemko A., Shapoval V., Umanets O., Zagorodniuk N., Zakharova M., Dembicz I. 2022. Grasslands and coastal habitats of Southern Ukraine: First results from the 15th EDGG Field Workshop. Palaearctic Grasslands 52: 44–83. 10.21570/EDGG.PG.52.44-83
- Mosyakin S.L., & Fedoronchuk M.M. 1999. Vascular plants of Ukraine. A nomenclatural checklist. Specialized printing house of scientific journals of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv.
- R Core Team. 2022. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL: https://www.R-project.org/