The database includes records of 115 spider species in 25 families collected in the National Nature Park Slobozhanskyi. The Park was created in 2009 for the conservation of valuable natural areas of the forest-steppe zone of northeastern Ukraine, its historical and cultural objects. It is located in the floodplain and sandy terraces of the valley of Merchik and Merla Rivers (the Vorskla basin). Most of the park’s territory is covered with natural oak and pine forests as well as pine plantations replaced logged forests. The gem of the park is sphagnum and sedge-sphagnum bogs, forest lakes, marshy birch and alder stands, located on the southeast border of their range. They host northern species uncommon in the forest-steppe.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 394 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Polchaninova N, Honcharov R (2022): Spiders of the National Nature Park Slobozhanskyi (Northeastern Ukraine). v1.2. Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. Dataset/Occurrence. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=spiders_slobozhanskyi&v=1.2
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 55a1cb57-3dc5-457b-86e8-d08b1f990542. Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
Bohodukhiv District (Raion), Kharkiv Region (Oblast’), Ukraine.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [49.611, 35.09], North East [50.416, 36.387]|
In 2013, the lines of 10 pitfall traps at a distance 10 m from each other were established in three habitats, viz. an old pine forest, bank of a small bog in the clear-cut, and bank of a big peat bog in the wood. We used 250 ml plastic caps half filled with 4% formalin. In addition, spiders were sampled by hands and by sweep netting in the forest herbage, riparian vegetation of the small bog, and on the clear-cut in the old pine forest. The material was collected on May 23, June 5, and July 7. The traps were exposed from May 23 to July 7, with an additional check on June 5. In 2019, we investigated burnt and unburnt areas of a peat bog, pine plantation and an old pine forest. On May 23, nine traps were set at each study plot. They were arranged by three at a distance 10 m between the triplets and 3 m between the traps within each triplet. The traps were checked on June 13, July 7, and August 1. Each triplet was preserved separately as a subsample in a sample of nine traps. Geographical locations were indicated by GPS-navigator in decimal degrees according to the WGS 84 system. The nomenclature follows the World Spider Catalogue (WSC, 2022).
|Study Extent||Slobozhanskyi National Nature park, Kharkiv Region, Ukraine|
Method step description:
- Field expeditions to the study sites.
- Establishing a line of pitfall traps at a distance of 10 m at each study plot.
- Regular checking of the traps.
- Georeferencing with the help of GPS-navigator.
- Species identification in the laboratory.
- Organizing of a dataset according to Darwin Core standards.
|Collection Name||Private collection of Nina Polchaninova|
- Polchaninova N., Gnelitsa V., Terekhova V., Iosypchuk A. 2021. New and rare spider species (Arachnida: Araneae) from Ukraine. Zoodiversity. 55(2). P.95‒112.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2013. Catalogue of the spiders (Arachnida, Aranei) of Left-Bank Ukraine. Arthropoda Selecta. Supplement No 2. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press. 268 p.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2017. Catalogue of the spiders (Arachnida, Aranei) of Left-Bank Ukraine. Addendum 1. 2013–2016. / (Ed. K.G. Mikhailov). Arthropoda Selecta. Supplement No 4. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press. 115 p.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Slutsky A.I. 2013. [Addition to the annotated checklist of spiders (Araneae) of Kharkov Region (Ukraine)]. isnyk Kharkivskoho Natsionalnoho Unversitytu imeni V.N. Karazina. Ser. Biology. Vyp. 17. No 1056. P.120–128 [in Russian, with English summary].
- World Spider Catalog (WOS). 2022. version 23.0 Bern: Natural History Museum. http://wsc.nmbe.ch (accessed 13.05.2022)