The database includes records of 247 spider species of 27 families collected in the northeast of Luhansk Region, Ukraine. Two conservation areas were thoroughly investigated: a botanical preserve of local importance Kreidiani Vidslonennia (Chalk Outcrops) and the Striltsivkyi Steppe Department of the Luhansk Natural Reserve. Investigations of the Striltsivskyi Steppe and its vicinity in 2009-2011 aimed at the study of spider recovery after a large-scale uncontrolled fire, which destroyed vegetation throughout the reserve.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 1,941 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Polchaninova N (2023). Spiders (Araneae) of the northeast of the Luhansk Oblast (Ukraine). Version 1.10. Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO). Occurrence dataset. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=spidersluhansk1&v=1.10
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO). This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 765d4ecb-a667-4f23-b95e-5254e7140d7e. Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO) publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
Occurrence; spiders; Araneae; Luhansk; Luhansk region; Ukraine; biodiversity; Arachnida; fauna; arthropods; registrations; traps; trap-days; steppe; Observation
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
The study sites are located near the villages of Novobila, Taniushivka, Zorykivka, Striltsivka, Velykotsk, Krynychne, and Horodyshche of the Bilovodsk, Novopskov and Milove Raions of the Luhansk Oblast of Ukraine.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [47.806, 37.837], North East [50.078, 40.166]|
The dataset consists of finds of spiders (class - Arachnida, order - Araneae).
|Family||Agelenidae, Araneidae, Atypidae, Cheiracanthiidae, Clubionidae, Dictynidae, Eresidae, Gnaphosidae, Linyphiidae, Liocranidae, Hahniidae, Lycosidae, Oxyopidae, Miturgidae, Mimetidae, Philodromidae, Phrurolithidae, Pisauridae, Pholcidae, Salticidae, Sparassidae, Thomisidae, Tetragnathidae, Theridiidae, Titanoecidae, Uloboridae, Anyphaenidae|
|Start Date / End Date||1982-07-02 / 2021-09-24|
In collaboration with the Finnish Biodiversity Information Facility (FinBIF) and Pensoft Publishers, GBIF has announced a new call for authors to submit and publish data papers on Northern Eurasia in a special collection of Biodiversity Data Journal (BDJ).
|Title||Northern Eurasia 2022|
The personnel involved in the project:
The main material was obtained from the monitoring sites in the Striltsivskyi Steppe before (1982-1989) and after the fire (2009-2011) taking into account the topography and conservation management (strictly protected steppe, periodically and annually mowed steppe, pasture). An unburnt adjacent gully was regarded as a conditional control. Ten pitfall traps were set in a line in each studied habitat. I used 250 ml plastic caps and arranged them at a distance of 10 m from each other. Sweep netting and hand collecting were carried out once a month on days of setting and checking traps. Hand collecting during the study period contributed to the fauna inventory of the area in question. Geographical locations were indicated by GPS-navigator in decimal degrees according to the WGS 84 system. The nomenclature follows the World Spider Catalogue (WSC, 2022).
|Study Extent||Spiders were collected by hand, by pitfall trapping, and by sweep netting in the habitats, typical of the north of the steppe zone of the East European Plain: forb-fescue-feather grass steppe on the flat interfluves and the gully slopes, meadow-like vegetation at the gully bottoms, thickets of the steppe shrubs, chalk hills with calcareous vegetation, clayey gully slopes with xerophytic steppe vegetation, mesic floodplain meadows, abandoned fields, river banks, forest shelterbelts, forest plantations, bairak forests and their edges (semi-natural forests covering gully bottoms and slopes in the south of the Forest-Steppe and in the north of the Steppe zone). The author cooperated with Larysa Borovyk, Director of the Luhansk Natural Reserve, who organized the field trips, helped to collect the material, and gave advice on regional vegetation communities, conservation management and study history of the Reserve. This dataset was prepared and published with the help of the Olin gGmbH foundation to preserve data on the biodiversity of Ukraine obtained by the Ukrainian scientists, who were forced to leave their homeland due to the war (Russia's invasion of Ukraine). Olin gGmbH is a funding organization for environmental protection and conservation that supports environmental and sociopolitical organizations. Also the creation of the dataset was partially supported by Rufford Foundation project "Open biodiversity data: serving Nature Conservation in Ukriane".|
|Quality Control||The author is fully responsible for the quality of data provided within the dataset.|
Method step description:
- Field expeditions to the study sites.
- Establishing a line of ten traps at a distance of 10 m at each study plot.
- Regular checking of the traps.
- Sweep netting conducted in the same habitats, tree samples of 25 double sweeps per plot; hand collecting.
- Georeferencing with the help of GPS-navigator.
- Species identification in the laboratory.
- Organizing of a dataset according to Darwin Core standards.
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 1990. [State of knowl¬edge of the araneofauna of steppe Reserves of Ukraine]. Zapov. SSSR – ikh nastoyashchee i budushchee. Tez. dokl. Vses. konf. Novgorod: Komissia AN SSSR po koordin. nauchn. issledovaniy v gos. zapovednikakh SSSR. Ch.3. Zool. issled. Novgorod. P.120–121 [in Russian].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 1990. [Comparative characteristics of the spider fauna of the steppes of Left-Bank Ukraine] //I.A. Akimov (ed.). Novosti faunistiki i sistematiki. Kiev: In-t zool. AN UkrSSR. P.163–167 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 1995 [Araneofauna of the Streltsovkaya Steppe (Lugansk Area) and its place in the fauna of protected steppe territories]. Probl. sokhran. raznoobrazia prirodn. stepn. i lesostepn. reg. Mater. Rossiysko-Ukrainsk. nauchn. konf., posviashch. 60-letiyu Tsentr.-Chernoz. zapov. (pos. Zapovednoye Kurskoi obl., 22-27 maya 1995). Мoscow: KMK Sci. Press Ltd. P.185–186 [in Russian].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2012. Assemblages of herb-dwelling spiders (Araneae) of various steppe types in Ukraine and the Central Chernozem region of Russia. Arachnologishe Mitteilungen 43(2). P. 66–67.
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2012. [Changes in steppe araneocomplexes under an impact of conservation measures in the nature reserves of Ukraine and Russia]. Режимы степных особо охраняемых природных территорий: Материалы международной научно-практической конференции, посвященной 130-летию со дня рождения профессора В.В. Алехина (г. Курск – пос. Заповедный, 15-18 января 2012 г.). (отв. ред. О.В. Рыжков). Курск, 2012. Р.156–159 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2013. Fire in steppe reserves: to burn or not to burn? A response of spider community to prescribed and spontaneous burning. When theory meets practice: conservation and restoration of grasslands. 10th European Dry Grassland Meeting. 24-31 May 2013. Zamość, Poland. Abstract Book. P.24.
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2013. Fire in protected steppe areas. Disaster or benefit? A case study of spider community in forb steppe of eastern Ukraine. Conservation of steppe and semidesert ecosystems in Eurasia: abstracts of International conference. Almaty, 13-14 March 2013 / Eds. S.L. Sklyarenko, N.P. Ogar, T.N. Duisebayeva. ACBK, Almaty. P.23. [in Russian and English].
- Polchaninova N. 2015. Recovery of spider communities after a spontaneous summer fire in the forb-bunchgrass steppe of eastern Ukraine. Haquectia. 14(1). P.79–96.
- Polchaninova N. 2021. Spiders (Arachnida: Araneae) in dry grasslands of South Ukraine: a case study of Yelanetskyi Steppe Natural Reserve. Arachnologische Mitteilungen. 61(1). P. 27–35.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2011. A checklist of spiders (Araneae) of the Lugansk Nature Reserve (Ukraine) / (T.V. Sova (ed.)). Zb. nauk. prats Luhansk. pryrodnoho zapov. Luhansk. P.96–110 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2013. Catalogue of the spiders (Arachnida, Aranei) of Left-Bank Ukraine. Arthropoda Selecta. Supplement No 2. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press. 268 p.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2017. Catalogue of the spiders (Arachnida, Aranei) of Left-Bank Ukraine. Addendum 1. 2013–2016. / (Ed. K.G. Mikhailov). Arthropoda Selecta. Supplement No 4. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press. 115 p.
- Prokopenko E.V. 2001. [The spider fauna of the Lugansk Nature Reserve]. Bioriznomanittia pryrodn. i tekhnohen. biotopiv Ukrainy. Mater. Vseukrainsk. konf. studentiv, aspirantiv i molodykh vchenykh. Ch.2. Donetsk: DonNU. P. 160–164 [in Russian].
- World Spider Catalog (WOS). 2022. version 23.0 Bern: Natural History Museum. http://wsc.nmbe.ch (accessed 13.05.2022)