The Collection includes a total number of 1340 strains belonging to 265 species of Basidiomycota and Ascomycota. The IBK Collection is the largest official specialized culture collection of macromycetes in Ukraine. According to Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 1709 of 19 December 2001, the Mushroom Culture Collection of the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany was registered as a scientific object of national heritage of Ukraine.
The Culture Collection activities are focused on preservation of genofund of macrofungi in pure culture and fundamental research on biology and biotechnology of edible and medicinal mushrooms. Dikaryotic strains of macromycetes from different taxonomic and ecological groups of broad geographical origin are maintained in the Collection. The Collection is of great environmental importance for ex situ conservation of the fungal genetic resource. Introduction to culture and preservation of rare and endangered species of fungi in Ukraine are emphasized, particularly those species which are listed in the Red Data Book of Ukraine. The mushroom cultures maintained by IBK has been included in the World Directory of Collections of Cultures of Microorganisms of the World Data Centre, where IBK is assigned number 1152.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 1,260 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Bisko N, Lomberg M, Mykchaylova O, Mytropolska N (2023). IBK Mushroom Culture Collection. Version 1.7. The IBK Mushroom Culture Collection of the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany. Occurrence dataset. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=ibk&v=1.7
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is The IBK Mushroom Culture Collection of the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany. To the extent possible under law, the publisher has waived all rights to these data and has dedicated them to the Public Domain (CC0 1.0). Users may copy, modify, distribute and use the work, including for commercial purposes, without restriction.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 148aefb6-cf88-443e-9780-b774ef7333e7. The IBK Mushroom Culture Collection of the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
- Metadata Provider ●
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
- Metadata Provider ●
- Metadata Provider ●
Dikaryotic strains of macromycetes from various taxonomic and ecological groups of broad geographical origin are maintained in the Collection. The Collection regularly integrates new strains. Isolation of macromycetes into the culture collection to enrich the fund is performed in the field during expedition trips and in laboratory. All mycological material before the isolation is identified by mycologists, experts in taxonomy of relevant groups of fungi. The majority of cultures were isolated from the natural material in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Israel and the USA. Some cultures were obtained from other collections, institutions and mycologists.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [-90, -180], North East [90, 180]|
Mushroom strains belonging to 265 species of Basidiomycota and Ascomycota
|Start Date / End Date||1966-01-01 / 2021-07-31|
Regarding conservation of mycobiota outside natural habitats of mushrooms, ex situ culture collections are crucial in maintaining the gene pool of macrofungi in pure culture. The Mushroom Culture Collection (acronym IBK) was established at the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany, NASU in 1966 on the basis of the Department of Mycology. A founder and first curator of the IBK Collection was Dr. Professor A.S. Bukhalo (1932-2014) who defined the strategy for development of collection funds and proposed basic principles of selection and preservation of mushroom diversity. According to the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 1709 of 19 December 2001, the Mushroom Culture Collection of the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany was registered as a scientific object of national heritage of Ukraine. The Culture Collection activities are focused on preservation of genofund of macrofungi in pure culture and fundamental research on biology and biotechnology of edible and medicinal mushrooms. Dikaryotic strains of macromycetes from different taxonomic and ecological groups of broad geographical origin are maintained in the Collection. The collection is of great environmental importance for ex situ conservation of the fungal genetic resource. Introduction to culture and preservation of rare and endangered species of fungi in Ukraine are emphasized, particularly those species which are listed in the Red Data Book of Ukraine. Among them, there are ascomycetes Morchella steppicola Zerova, M. crassipes (Vent.) Pers., Gyromitra slonevskii Heluta and basidiomycetes Fomitopsis officinalis (Vill.) Bondartsev et Singer, Hericium coralloides (Fr.) Gray, Grifola frondosa (Dicks.) Gray, Sparassis crispa (Wulfen) Fr. maintained in the IBK Collection. In addition, strains of Pleurotus nebrodensis (Inzenga) Quel., until recently the only representative of the Kingdom Fungi in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, are preserved in the Collection. Due to sufficient strain diversity, it is possible to reintroduce rare species into natural habitats where they have been extinct for various reasons. A special attention has been paid to the introduction of species and strain diversity of edible and medicinal mushrooms. Culture collection of mushrooms is an important resource for development of mushroom growing in Ukraine and biotechnologies of dietary treatment and prevention supply, food supplements, pharmaceutical and biologically active substances.
|Title||The Mushroom Culture Collection (acronym IBK) of the M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany|
The personnel involved in the project:
Methods and storage of pure cultures of ascomycetes and basidiomycetes are determined by peculiarities of morphology, ecological and biological properties of the fungi that develop in culture mainly as asporous vegetative mycelium. Isolation of pure cultures from fruit body tissue or basidio- and ascospores are made using conventional and modified methods. For isolation and preservation of cultures, wort, malz, compost, potato-dextrose and other agar media, including added herbal extracts, are used. Cultures are preserved in refrigerator at 4±1 °C. For species identification of basidiomycetes in vegetative stage of their development, specific criteria for identification and verification of macromycetes of certain taxonomic and ecological groups in culture are required. Peculiarities of mycelium growth and formation of fruiting bodies in culture are investigated within special program developed by the Collection staff. This program includes research on cultural-morphological characteristics using scanning electron microscopy, cultivation conditions, physiological and biochemical characteristics of strains that can be used to determine species identity of the culture. The Collection staff has developed methods of passaging, choosing selective nutrient media for some species with higher requirements for nutrients and microscopic visual system control cultures in absence of extraneous microflora which allow to maintain the viability of cultures in the Collection, including enzymatic and physiological activity, over decades.
|Study Extent||Worldwide, but mainly Ukraine|
Method step description:
- Obtaining a pure cultures from fungal fruit bodies or receiving from another collection
- Selection of a proper cultural media
- Regular passaging and preservation of strains, examining of morpho-cultural features
|Collection Name||IBK Mushroom Culture Collection|
|Specimen preservation methods||No treatment|
- Bisko N.A., Lomberg M.L., Mytropolska N.Yu., Mykchaylova O.B. (2016): IBK Mushroom Culture Collection. – 120 p., M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany, Alterpres, Kyiv.
- Mykchaylova O.B., Gryganskyi A.P., Lomberg M.L., Bisko N.A. (2017): The study of morphological and cultural properties of Sparassis crispa (Sparassidaceae, Polyporales). – Ukrainian Journal of Ecology. 7(4): 550–558.
- Mykchaylova O.B., Bisko N.A., Sukhomlyn M.M., Lomberg M.L., Pasajlyuk М.V., Petrichuk Yu.V., Gryganskyi A.P. (2017): Biological peculiarities of a rare medicinal mushroom Fomitopsis officinalis (Fomitopsidaceae, Polyporales) on agar media and plant substrates. – Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems. 8(4): 469–475.
- Bisko N.A., Mytropolska N.Yu., Mykchaylova O.B. Lomberg M.L., Al-Maali G.A. (2018): The rare and biotechnologically important mushroom species in the IBK collection. – In: Kłaczewski W., Stefanek H., Gorzel M., eds., Development of natural sciences in countries of the European Union taking into account the challenges of XXI century, pp. 21–37. Vincent Pol University, Lublin & Baltija Publishing, Riga.
- Bisko N.A., Sukhomlyn M.M., Mykchaylova O.B.,Lomberg M.L., Tsvyd N.V., Petrichuk Yu.V., Al-Maali G.A., Mytropolska N.Yu. (2018): Ex situ conservation of rare and endangered species in mushroom culture collections of Ukraine. – Ukr. Bot. J. 75(4): 338–347. https://doi.org/10.15407/ukrbotj75.04.338
- Bisko N.A., Lomberg M.L., Mykchaylova O.B., Mytropolska N.Yu. (2018): Conservation of biotechnological important species diversity and genetic resource of rare and endangered fungi of Ukraine. – Plant & Fungal Research. 1(1): 18–27.
- Vedenicheva N.P., Al-Maali G.A., Mykchaylova O.B., Lomberg M.L., Bisko N.A., Shcherbatiuk M.M., Kosakivska I.V. (2018): Endogenous Cytokinins Dynamics in Mycelial Biomass of Basidiomycetes at Different Stages of Cultivation. International Journal Biochemistry& Physiology. 3(2): 000122.
- Vedenicheva N.P., Al-Maali G.A., Bisko N.A., Shcherbatiuk M.M., Lomberg M.L., Mytropolska N.Yu., Mykchaylova O.B., Kosakivska I.V. (2018): Comparative Analysis of Cytokinins in Mycelial Biomass of Medicinal Mushrooms. – International Journal of Medicinal Mushroom. 20(9): 837-847.
- Mykchaylova O.B., Lomberg M.L., Bisko N.A. (2019): Verification and screening of biotechnologically valuable macromycetes species in vitro. – In: Jankovska A., ed., Development of modern science: the experience of European countries and prospects for Ukraine, pp. 354–375. Baltija Publishing, Riga. https://doi.org/10.30525/978-9934-571-78-7_51
- Bisko N., Mustafin K., Al-Maali G., Suleimenova Z., Lomberg M., Narmuratova Z., Mykchaylova O., Mytropolska N., Zhakipbekova A. (2020): Effects of cultivation parameters on intracellular polysaccharide production in submerged culture of the edible medicinal mushroom Lentinula edodes. – Czech Mycol. 72(1): 1–17. https://doi.org/10.33585/cmy.72101
- Prydiuk M.P., Lomberg M.L. (2021): First record of Coprinopsis strossmayeri (Psathyrellaceae) in Ukraine: morphological and cultural features.-Czech Mycol. 73(1): 45-58. https://doi.org/10.33585/cmy.73104
- Vedenicheva N.P., Al-Maali G.A., Mytropolska N.Yu., Mykhaylova O.B., Bisko N.A., Kosakivska I.V. (2016): Endogenous cytokinins in medicinal Basidiomycetes mycelial biomass. – Biotechnologia Acta. 9(1): 55–63. https://doi.org/10.15407/biotech9.01.055
- Bisko N.A., Mustafin K.G., Suleimenova Zh.B., Akhmetsadykov N.N., Narmuratova Zh. (2016): Development for the physiologically active inoculum techniques and the study of the kinetic parameters of fungal biomass and biologically active substances synthesis. – Europian Journal of Biomedical and Life Sciences. 3: 4–10.
- Al-Maali G.A., Bisko N.A., Ostapchuk A.M. (2016): The effect of zinc citrate and zinc sulfate on the growth and biomass composition of medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. – Mikologiya i Fitopatologiya. 50(5): 313–317.
- Gabriel, J. (Ed.). (2016): Macromycetes: medicinal properties and biological peculiarities. V. 2. Kyiv: Nash format: 261 p. [in Russian].
- Myronycheva O., Bandura I., Bisko N., Gryganskyi A.P., Karlsson O. (2017): Assessment of the Growth and Fruiting of 19 Oyster Mushroom Strains for Indoor Cultivation on Lignocellulosic Wastes. – BioResources. 12(3): 4606–4626. https://doi.org/10.15376/biores.12.3.4606-4626
- Al-Maali G.A. (2018): The influence on different compounds of trace elements on the biomass and synthesis of exopolysaccharides of mycelium Trametes versicolor (Polyporaceae, Polyporales). – Biosystems Diversity. 25(4): 289–296. https://doi.org/10.15421/011744
- Poyedinok N.L., Tugay T.I., Tugay A.V., Mykchaylova O.B., Sergiichuk N.N., Negriyko A.M. (2019): Influence of nitrogen concentration on photoinduced growth, enzymatic activity and melanine synthesis by Inonotus obliquus (Ach.: Pers.) Pilát. – Biotechnologia Acta. 12(4): 34-41. https://doi.org/10.15407/biotech12.04.034
- Al-Maali G.A., Vedenicheva N.P., Bisko N.A., Kosakivska I.V. (2019): Effect of microelements on cytokinins content in mycelial biomass of medicinal mushroom Trametes versicolor (Polyporaceae, Basidiomycota). – Ukr. Bot. J. 76(1): 71–78. https://doi.org/10.15407/ukrbotj76.01.071
- Regeda L.V., Bisko N.A. (2019): Micromorphological characteristics of the species of Pholiota (Strophariaceae, Basidiomycota) in pure culture. – Ukr. Bot. J. 76(2): 114–120. https://doi.org/10.15407/ukrbotj76.02.114
- Grodzynska G., Lomberg M., Rahmetov D., Nebesnyi V. (2019): Біодеградація субстратів з енергетичних рослин їстівними та лікарськими грибами. – Agroecological Journal. 1: 85-89. https://doi.org/10.33730/2077-4893.1.2019.163268
- Mustafin K.G., Bisko N.A., Achmetsadykov N.K., Sulimenova Zh.B., Zakipbekova A.S., Narmuratova Zh.B. (2020): Determination of amino acid and fatty acid composition of depth mycelium Lentinus edodes. – Eco. Env. & Cons. 26(2): 931–934. ISSN 0971-765Х.
- Mustafin, K.G., Bisko, N.A., Saduyeva, Z.K., Zhakipbekova, A.S., Tapenbayeva, I.E., Narmuratova, Z.B. (2020): Chemical composition of depth Lentinus edodes mycelia biomass. – Annals of Biology. 36(3): 463–465.
- Poyedinok N.L., Mykchaylova O.B., Sergiichuk N.N., Tugay T.I., Tugay A.V., Lopatko S., Matvieieva N. (2020): Effect of Colloidal Metal Nanoparticles on Biomass, Polysaccharides, Flavonoids, and Melanin Accumulation in Medicinal Mushroom Inonotus obliquus (Ach.: Pers.) Pilát.// Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 191: 1315–1325. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-020-03281-2
- Vedenicheva N., Al-Maali G., Bisko N., Kosakivska I., Ostrovska G., Khanovska N., Gorbach O., Garmanchuk L., Ostapchenko L. (2021): Effect of Cytokinin-Containing Extracts from Some Medicinal Mushroom Mycelia on HepG2 Cells In Vitro. – Int. J. of Med. Mush. 23(3): 15-28. https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJMedMushrooms.2021037656
- Mykchaylova O, Lomberg M, Tsapko S, Krasinko V. (2021): Morphological characteristics of the culture Clathrus archeri (Phallaceae, Basidiomycota). Pol. J. Natur. Sc. 36(3):283-298. http://www.uwm.edu.pl/polish-journal/sites/default/files/issues/articles/5-mykchaylova.pdf
- Lomberg M. Mushrooms of the genus Hericium (Hericiaceae): current advances and perspectives. In: Dmytriev OP (ed.), Botany and mycology: modern horizons, Kyiv: Nash format, 2021; pp. 522-563. (in Ukrainian) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355187316_SUCASNI_DOSLIDZENNA_I_PERSPEKTIVI_VIKORISTANNA_GRIBIV_RODU_HERICIUM_HERICIACEAE
- Atamanchuk, A., Bisko, N. ( 2022): Cultural and morphological characteristics of wood-inhabiting Xylaria species from Ukraine. Plant&Fungal Research. 5(2):11-19. https://doi.org/10.30546/2664-5297.2022.2.11
- Dubova H., Dotsenko N., Mykchaylova O.B., & Poyedinok, N. (2022): Study of aromatic components in the course of initiating enzymatic reactions in the edible mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. Food Science and Technology. 15(4):12–21.
- Mykchaylova O.B., Poyedinok N.L., Shchetinin V.M.(2022): Screening of Strains of the Medicinal Mushroom Fomitopsis officinalis (Vill.) Bondartsev & Singer Promising for Biotechnological Use. Innovative Biosystems and Bioengineering. 6(3-4):110–118. https://doi.org/10.20535/ibb.2022.6.3-4.271383
- Garmanchuk L.V., Vedenicheva N.P., Al-Maali G.A., Ostapchenko D.I., Tseyslyer Yu.V., Liashenko V.A., Bisko N.A., Kosakivska I.V., Ostapchenko L.I. (2022): Antiproliferative activities of extracts from mycelial Biomass of some medicinal Basidiomycetes in the culture of human colon cancer cells Colo 205. Experimental Oncology. 44 (3): 213-216. https://doi.org/10.32471/exp-oncology.2312-8852.vol-44-no-3.18434
- Mustafin K., Bisko N., Blieva R., Al-Maali G., Krupodorova T., Narmuratova Zh., Saduyeva A., Zhakipbeova A. (2022): Antioxidant and Antimicrobial potential of Ganoderma lucidum and Trametes versicolor Turkish Journal of Biochemistry. 47(2): 4-9. https://doi.org/10.1515/tjb-2021-0141
- Stasyuk N., Demkiv O., Gayda G., Zakalskiy A., Klepach H., Bisko N., Gonchar M., Nisnevitch M. ( 2022): Highly Porous 3D Gold Enhances Sensitivity of Amperometric Biosensors Based on Oxidases and CuCe Nanoparticles. Biosensors. 12 (472): 1-19. https://doi.org/10.3390/bios12070472
- Bisko N, Lomberg M, Mykchaylova O, Mytropolska N, Kutovenko V, Gryganskyi A. (2022): Biology, morphology, and phylogeny of some strains of the Pleurotus eryngii species complex. Archives of Biological Sciences. 74 (3): 271-281. https://doi.org/10.2298/ABS220524026B
- Narmuratova Zh, Bisko NA, Mustafin K, Al-Maali G, Kerner A, Bondaruk S, Suleimenova Zh, Kalieva A, Akhmetsadykov N, Zhakipbekova A, Lomberg M. (2023): Screening of medicinal mushroom strains with antimicrobial activity and polysaccharides production. Turkish Journal of Biochemistry. 48(3): 290-297. https://doi.org/10.1515/tjb-2022-0235