A core part of the national legislation of Ukraine for the protection of rare and threatened species of animals, plants, and fungi is the Red Data Book of Ukraine (RDB). RDB is governed by the corresponding Law and issued once a decade as a scientific edition (Vol. 1 — Animals, Vol. 2 — Plants, Fungi, and Algae). Species listed in the RDB of Ukraine and in the international conservation agreements valid in the territory of Ukraine, such as IUCN Red List or Appendices of Bern Convention, might partly overlap.
Although the RDB of Ukraine, as an edition, was issued for the last time back in 2009 y., in 2021, the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine issued two Orders establishing lists of animal, plant, fungal, and algae species that must be included into the next edition of the RDB of Ukraine. Since then, mentioned species have acquired legal conservation statuses throughout all the territory of Ukraine and are considered protected according to the Law of the Red Bada Book of Ukraine. Here we present the list of animal species approved to be included in the Red Data Book of Ukraine by Order of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine № 29 as of 19 January 2021.
The data in this checklist resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 687 records.
2 extension data tables also exist. An extension record supplies extra information about a core record. The number of records in each extension data table is illustrated below.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Prylutskyi O, Marushchak O (2023): List of animal species included into the Red Data Book of Ukraine. v1.0. Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO). Dataset/Checklist. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=reddatabookofukraine_animals_checklist&v=1.0
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO). To the extent possible under law, the publisher has waived all rights to these data and has dedicated them to the Public Domain (CC0 1.0). Users may copy, modify, distribute and use the work, including for commercial purposes, without restriction.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: bca0cf23-b459-4164-a552-9b90825ee255. Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO) publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
- Metadata Provider
|South West [43.835, 22.061], North East [52.483, 40.342]
No Description available
Scientific names were manually extracted from the Appendix of the Order of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine № 29 as of 19 January 2021 (hereafter the Order, https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0260-21#Text). Only species shall be included into the Red Data Book of Ukraine listed. For each species, we also provided Ukrainian vernacular name (see "Vernacular Name" extension), and threat status (according to the system used in the Red Data Book of Ukraine, see "Species Distribution" extension), both exactly as it mentioned in the the Appendix of the Order.
|All territory of Ukraine
|Scientific names, including authorship, are given exactly as it were written in the Appendix to the Order. Higher taxonomy (kingdom-order) acquired from the Order too, but checked using GBIF species matching tool.
Method step description:
- Manual data transcribing from the document to the spreadsheet
- Processing data according to the Darwin Core terms
- Making three data tables, according to the GBIF's taxon core and extensions: taxon (providing scientific names and higher taxonomy), vernacular names (Ukrainian species names), and species distribution (providing threat status in the national system)
- Про затвердження переліків видів тварин, що заносяться до Червоної книги України (тваринний світ), та видів тварин, що виключені з Червоної книги України (тваринний світ), та видів тварин, що виключені з Червоної книги України (тваринний світ) / Наказ Міністерства захисту довкілля та природних ресурсів України від 19 січня 2021 року № 29. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0260-21#Text
- Перелік видів тварин, що заносяться до Червоної книги України (тваринний світ) / Додаток до Наказу Міністерства захисту довкілля та природних ресурсів України від 19 січня 2021 року № 29. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0260-21#Text
- Закон України "Про Червону книгу України" / 2002 р. (редакція від 08.08.2021) https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3055-14#Text