This dataset contains records of 266 species of 28 families of the Buzkyi Hard National Nature Park, Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine. The aim of the research was to combine all the spider material collected in different years (1997-2013), to compile a list of spider species of the National Park and its vicinity, and to identify species of high conservation value.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 1,698 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Iosypchuk A, Polchaninova N (2023). Spiders (Araneae) of the National Nature Park Buzkyi Hard and its vicinity (Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine). Version 1.2. Kherson State University. Occurrence dataset. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=spiders-mykolairegions&v=1.2
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Kherson State University. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 90e18dfe-2af3-4e96-aff1-23ae57770e00. Kherson State University publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
Occurrence; spiders; araneae; mykolaiv region
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
- Metadata Provider
The described study sites are located in three sectors of the Buzkyi Hard National Nature Park, the Mykolaiv Region of Ukraine, namely Bohdanivske (vicinities of Bohdanivka village and Yuzhnourkainsk town), Myhiiske (vicinities of Myhiya and Kuripchyne villages), and Trykratske (vicinities of Aktove and Trykraty villages).
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [46.571, 30.059], North East [48.181, 33.464]|
The dataset presents information about spiders (Arachnida: Araneae).
|Family||Agelenidae, Anyphaenidae, Araneidae, Atypidae, Cheiracanthiidae, Clubionidae, Dictynidae, Dysderidae, Eresidae, Gnaphosidae, Hahniidae, Linyphiidae, Liocranidae, Lycosidae, Mimetidae, Miturgidae, Oxyopidae, Philodromidae, Pholcidae, Phrurolithidae, Pisauridae, Salticidae, Tetragnathidae, Theridiidae, Thomisidae, Titanoecidae, Uloboridae, Zodariidae|
|Start Date / End Date||1997-06-19 / 2013-12-23|
The project was implemented with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic as part of the Transition Promotion Program.
|Title||Natural potential in community plans of the post-war Mykolaiv region|
|Study Area Description||Mykolaiv region.|
The dataset of spiders of Buzkyi Hard National Nature Park (Mykolaiv Region, Ukraine) is based on the material collected in 1997, 2006, 2007, 2012, and 2013. The method of trapping consists in setting 250 ml plastic cups with 4% formalin as a preservative in a line of 5-10 traps 10 m apart. Entomological sweep nets 30 cm in diameter with five replicates of 25 double sweeps were used for sweep net sampling. Hand collection included standard procedures for finding spiders under stones, tree bark, in crevices, etc., as well as shaking branches and brushing vertical surfaces. Geographical locations were indicated in Google Earth in decimal degrees according to the WGS 84 system.
|Study Extent||The material was collected by pitfall trapping, sweep netting and hand collecting. Spiders were found in dwellings and household buildings and in the habitats typical of the region of the lower Pivdennyi Buh reaches: zonal forb-bunchgrass steppe, granite outcrops, steppe on the granitic rock (“granitic steppe”), meadows, open woodlands, forests, forest edges, forest springs and river/lake banks. The checklist contains a more detailed description of the above-mentioned habitats. The dataset includes information on published findings of spiders by N.Yu. Polchaninova (V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine) K.V. Evtushenko (I.I. Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology of NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine), V.A. Gnelitsa (Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine), and E.N. Singaevsky (Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine), as well as the findings reported in the publications Nadolny et al., 2012 and Kovblyuk et al., 2012. The creation of this dataset was partially supported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic as part of the Transition Promotion Program.|
|Quality Control||We use the World Spider Catalog (WSC, 2023) to check the current status of the nomenclature since more than one year has passed since the publication of the literature data, which increases the likelihood of changes in spider nomenclature.|
Method step description:
- Search for published preliminary data on the identification of spiders in the selected area.
- Organizing field expeditions to the study area.
- Setting up a line of traps in the study area with geo-referencing.
- Regular inspection of traps; sweep-netting and hand collecting with geo-referencing.
- Desk-based processing of found samples.
- Adaptation of a dataset to Darwin Core standards; nomenclatural revision.
- Kovblyuk M.M., Kastrygina Z.A., Omelko M.M. 2012. A review of the spider genus Haplodrassus Chamberlin, 1922 in Crimea (Ukraine) and adjacent areas (Araneae, Gnaphosidae). ZooKeys, 205, 59–89.
- Nadolny A.A., Ponomarev A.V., Dvadenko K.V. 2012. A new wolf spider species in the genus Alopecosa Simon, 1885 (Araneae: Lycosidae) from Eastern Europe. Zootaxa, 3484, 83– 88.
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2015. State of knowledge of the araneofauna of Mykolaiv Region and first data on the spiders of the NPP ‘Buzkyi Hard’. ‘Rehionalni aspecty floristychnykh i faunistychnykh doslidjen’: materialy druhoi nauchno-praktychnoi konferentsii. Chernivtsi, Druk Art, 256–258. [in Ukrainian].
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Gnelitsa V.A., Evtushenko K.V., Singaevsky E.N. 2017. An annotated checklist of spiders (Arachnida: Aranei) of the National Nature Park ‘Buzkyi Hard’ (Mykolaiv Area, Ukraine). Arthropoda Selecta, 26(3), 253–272.
- World Spider Catalog. 2023. Version 24.5. Bern: Natural History Museum Bern, URL: http://wsc.nmbe.ch, (accessed 18.10.2023). 10.24436/2