The database includes records of 161 spider species in 18 families collected at the two monitoring sites located in the Siverskyi Donets river valley in the Chuhuiv Raion of the Kharkiv Oblast of Ukraine. This area is part of the Emerald Network site UA0000316 – Siverskyi Donets River valley in Kharkiv Oblast-1. A sandy area near the village of Kytsivka is distinguished as a priority conservation site Kytsivka Desert.
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 525 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Polchaninova N (2022): Spiders of the monitoring sites in the Siverskyi Donets River valley near Chuhuiv (Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine). v1.2. Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO). Dataset/Occurrence. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=spiderskytsivkaeshar1&v=1.2
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO). This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 82863718-7918-4a37-88a4-294b4c6e42e1. Ukrainian Nature Conservation Group (NGO) publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
Occurrence; spiders; Archnida; Kharkiv region; Ukraine; arthropods; plots; trapping; biodiversity; Siverskyi Donets River; Observation
- Metadata Provider ●
- Originator ●
- Point Of Contact
The study area is located near the villages of Kytsivka and Eskhar in the Chuhuiv Raion of the Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [48.524, 34.832], North East [50.433, 38.095]|
The dataset consists of records of spiders (class - Arachnida, order - Araneae).
|Start Date / End Date||2004-07-26 / 2015-10-05|
Ten pitfall traps were set in a line in each studied habitat. I used 250 ml plastic caps and arranged them at a distance of 10 m from each other. Sweep netting and hand collecting were carried out once a month on days of setting and checking traps. Both monitoring sites (Kytsivka Desert and Floodplain near Eskhar) were investigated in April – June 2009, the Kytsivka Desert was additionally sampled in May 2012 and September – October 2015. Geographical locations were indicated by GPS-navigator in decimal degrees according to the WGS 84 system. The nomenclature follows the World Spider Catalogue (WSC, 2022).
|Study Extent||Spiders were collected by hand, by pitfall trapping, and by sweep netting in floodplain habitats (meadows, forests, forest edges and glades) and on the sandy river terrace (man-planted pine forest, sandy steppe on gentile hills, and bare sands with sparse grass or single pines in the valley bottom). This dataset was prepared and published with the help of the Olin gGmbH foundation to preserve data on the biodiversity of Ukraine obtained by the Ukrainian scientists, who were forced to leave their homeland due to the war (Russia's invasion of Ukraine). Olin gGmbH is a funding organization for environmental protection and conservation that supports environmental and sociopolitical organizations.|
|Quality Control||The author is fully responsible for the quality of data provided within the dataset.|
Method step description:
- Field expeditions to the study sites.
- Establishing a line of ten traps at a distance of 10 m at each study plot.
- Regular checking of the traps.
- Sweep netting conducted in the same habitats, tree samples of 25 double sweeps per plot; hand collecting.
- Georeferencing with the help of GPS-navigator.
- Species identification in the laboratory.
- Organizing of a dataset according to Darwin Core standards.
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2009. [A checklist of the spiders (Araneae) of Kharkov Area (Ukraine)]. Visnyk Kharkivskoho Natsionalnoho Unversitytu imeni V.N. Karazina. Ser. Biology. Vyp. 9. No 856. 121–135 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2013a. [Mustelikosa polovynchasta (Mustelicosa dimidiata (Thorell, 1875))] // Chervona knyha Kharkivskoi oblasti. Tvarynnyi svit / Ed. H.О. Shandikov, Т.А. Atemasova. Chief Ed. V.А. Tokarsky. Kharkiv: KhNU im. V.N. Kаrazina. P.50 [in Ukrainian].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2013b. [Ksistikus monholskyi (Xysticus mongolicus Schenkel, 1863)] // Chervona knyha Kharkivskoi oblasti. Tvarynnyi svit / Ed. H.О. Shandikov, Т.А. Atemasova. Chief Ed. V.А. Tokarsky. Kharkiv: KhNU im. V.N. Kаrazina. P.53 [in Ukrainian].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2013c. [Slenus prykrashenyi Yllenus vittatus Thorell, 1875] // Chervona knyha Kharkivskoi oblasti. Tvarynnyi svit / Ed. H.О. Shandikov, Т.А. Atemasova. Chief Ed. V.А. Tokarsky. Kharkiv: KhNU im. V.N. Kаrazina. P.54 [in Ukrainian].
- Polchaninova N.Yu. 2015. [Kytsivka sands as a refuge of the rare spider species (Aranei) of Kharkiv Region (Ukraine)]. Visnyk Kharkivskoho Natsionalnoho Unversitytu imeni V.N. Karazina. Ser. Biology. Vyp. 25. 196–199 [in Russian, with English summary].
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2013. Catalogue of the spiders (Arachnida, Aranei) of Left-Bank Ukraine. Arthropoda Selecta. Supplement No 2. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press. 268 p.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Prokopenko E.V. 2017. Catalogue of the spiders (Arachnida, Aranei) of Left-Bank Ukraine. Addendum 1. 2013–2016. / (Ed. K.G. Mikhailov). Arthropoda Selecta. Supplement No 4. Moscow, KMK Scientific Press. 115 p.
- Polchaninova N.Yu., Slutsky A.I. 2013. [Addition to the annotated checklist of spiders (Araneae) of Kharkov Region (Ukraine)]. Visnyk Kharkivskoho Natsionalnoho Unversitytu imeni V.N. Karazina. Ser. Biology. Vyp. 17. No 1056. P.120–128 [in Russian, with English summary].
- World Spider Catalog (WOS). 2022. version 23.0 Bern: Natural History Museum. http://wsc.nmbe.ch (accessed 13.05.2022)