The database includes a releves of grassland vegetation of Ukraine, carried out by 66 authors over the period from 1932 to 2019. The releves are made in almost all administrative regions of Ukraine. The size of plots ranged from 0,5 to 400 m2. The nomenclature is given in accordance the species list “Russia”, which is based on a checklist of S. Cherepanov (1995) for vascular plants, M. Ignatov & O. Afonina checklist (1992) for mosses and the Lichens Identification Guides of the USSR (1971–1978)
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 247,402 records.
1 extension data tables also exist. An extension record supplies extra information about a core record. The number of records in each extension data table is illustrated below.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Kuzemko A, Vynokurov D, Vasheniak I, Budzhak V, Chorney I, Chusova O, Dembicz I, Dengler J, Didukh Y, Dziuba T, Hájek M, Janišová M, Kolomiychuk V, Konaykova V, Moysiyenko I, Roleček J, Savchenko G, Shapoval V, Shyriaeva D, Škodová I, Tokariuk A (2021): Records of vascular plants, bryophytes and lichens from Ukrainian Grassland Database. v1.0. M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Dataset/Occurrence. https://gbif.univer.kharkov.ua/resource?r=ukrainiangrasslanddatabase&v=1.0
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: 07a5ec6c-e271-4d6a-865c-7f9a6b484514. M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
The resource data is also available in other formats
|Ukrainian Grassland Databse||https://edgg.org/databases/Regional-databases EU-UA-001 Turboveg database Turboveg 2.149a|
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [44.402, 22.061], North East [52.536, 40.166]|
|Start Date / End Date||1932-01-01 / 2020-01-01|
Dataset has been organized with the support of Project nlbif2018.2019.004 funded by NLBIF to The Habitat Foundation "Mobilization of biodiversity data from Ukraine to GBIF" https://www.nlbif.nl/mobilization-of-biodiversity-data-from-ukraine-to-gbif/
|Title||Mobilization of biodiversity data from Ukraine to GBIF|
The personnel involved in the project:
- Point Of Contact
- Point Of Contact
Most of the data were collected in accordance with the methodological approaches of the Braun-Blanquet school in the vegetation plots mainly in the range of 10-25 m2 with records of the full floristic composition (shoot or root presence) and cover of each species in% or abundance scales. Some of the plots (mostly 1950-1980s) were collected using the Soviet dominant approach on 100 m2 plots.
|Study Extent||Phytosociological database collected for the purpose of classification of vegetation and habitats. Includes more than 10.000 relevés of grassland vegetation and related open vegetation within the administrative boundaries of Ukraine|
|Quality Control||Over the years of the database existence (created in 2008, officially registered in GIVD in 2011) there is a constant checking and polishing of data. Some of the records are confirmed by herbarium speciements and photographs. But mostly the data quality is the responsibility of the authors of the relevés.|
Method step description:
- The database is stored in the Turboweg program environment, which includes standardized species lists for different countries and regions, which makes it impossible to use unverified nomenclature, and additional checks are used when exchanging data between different databases using different species lists. Moreover, the database is part of the European Vegetation Archive (EVA), where there is also a constant check of the data quality, followed by their correction if necessary.
- Kuzemko A.A., Becker T., Didukh Ya. P., Ardelean I.V., Becker U., Beldean M., Dolnik C., Jeschke M., Naqinezhad A., (…) & Dengler J. Dry grassland vegetation of Central Podolia (Ukraine) – a preliminary overview of its syntaxonomy, ecology and biodiversity. Tuexenia, 2014, 34: 391–430. 10.14471/2014.34.020
- Kuzemko A. Classification of the class Molinio-Arrhenatheretea in the forest and forest-steppe zones of Ukraine. Phytocoenologia, 2016, 46(3): 241–256. 10.1127/phyto/2016/0083
- Peterka T., Hájek M., Jiroušek M., Jiménez-Alfaro B., Aunina L., Bergamini A., Dít? D., Felbaba-Klushyna L, Graf U., (…) & Chytry M. Formalized classification of European fen vegetation at the alliance level. Applied Vegetation Science, 2017, 20: 124–142. https://doi.org/10.1111/avsc.12271
- Sporbert M., Keil P., Seidler G., Bruelheide H., Jandt U., A?i? S., Biurrun I., Campos J. A., ?arni A., (…) & Welk E. Testing macroecological abundance patterns: The relationship between local abundance and range size, range position and climatic suitability among European vascular plants. Journal of Biogeography, 2020, 47: 2210–2222. 10.1111/jbi.13926
- Willner W., Kuzemko A., Dengler J., Chytrý M., Bauer N., Becker T., Bitta-Nicolae C., Botta-Dukat Z., Carni A., (…) & Janisova M. A higher-level classification of the Pannonian and western Pontic steppe grasslands (Central and Eastern Europe). Applied Vegetation Science, 2017, 20 (1): 143–158. 10.1111/avsc.12265
- Willner W., Role?ek J., Korolyuk A., Dengler J., Chytrý M., Janišová M., Lengyel A., A?i? S., Becker T., (…) & Yamalov S. Formalized classification of semi-dry grasslands in central and eastern Europe. Preslia, 2019, 91: 25–49. 10.23855/preslia.2019.025
- Zajac M., Ujházy K., Škodová I., Kuzemko A., Borsukevych L., Danylyuk K., Duchoň M., Figura T., Kish R., Smatanová J., Turis P., Turisová I., Uhliarová E., Janišová M. Classification of semi-natural mesic grasslands in the Ukrainian Carpathians and adjacent area. Phytocoenologia Vol. 46 (2016), Issue 3, 257–293 10.1127/phyto/2016/0104
- Dengler J., Wagner V., Dembicz I., García-Mijangos I., Naqinezhad A., Boch S., Chiarucci A., Conradi T., Filibeck G., (…) & Biurrun I. GrassPlot – a database of multi-scale plant diversity in Palaearctic grasslands. Phytocoenologia Vol. 48 (2018), Issue 3, 331–347 https://doi.org/10.1127/phyto/2018/0267
- Bruelheide H., Dengler J., Jiménez-Alfaro B., Purschke O., Hennekens S. M., Chytrý M., Pillar V. D., Jansen F., Kattge J. (…) & Zverev A. sPlot – A new tool for global vegetation analyses. Journal of Vegetation Science 2019, 30 (2): 161-186 https://doi.org/10.1111/jvs.12710
- Dengler J., Matthews T. J., Steinbauer M. J., Wolfrum S., Boch S., Chiarucci A., Conradi T., Dembicz I., Marcenò C. (...) Biurrun I.Species–area relationships in continuous vegetation: Evidence from Palaearctic grasslands. Journal of Biogeography 2020; 47 (1):72-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/jbi.13697
- Vasheniak I., Dmytrash-Vatseba I., Markivska, L., Swacha G. & Kuzemko A. Phytosociology, ecology and conservation status of Carlina acanthifolia subsp. utzka on its northern distribution limit (Poland and Ukraine). Biologia 2020, 75: 637–651 https://doi.org/10.2478/s11756-020-00436-8
- Sporbert M., Keil P., Seidler G., Bruelheide H., Jandt U., Aćić S., Biurrun I., Campos J. A., Čarni A., Chytrý M., (...) & Welk E.Testing macroecological abundance patterns: The relationship between local abundance and range size, range position and climatic suitability among European vascular plants. Journal of Biogeography. 2020; 47: 2210–2222. 10.1111/jbi.13926
- Chytrý M., Tichý L., Hennekens S. M., Knollová I., Janssen J. A.M., Rodwell . S., Peterka T., Marcenò C., Landucci F. (...) & Schaminée J. H.J. EUNIS Habitat Classification: expert system, characteristic species combinations and distribution maps of European habitats. Applied Vegetation Science 2020, 23: 648-675 https://doi.org/10.1111/avsc.12519.
Ukrainian Grassland Database registered in GIVD (https://www.givd.info/ID/EU-UA-001), and member of the European Vegetation Archive (EVA) (http://euroveg.org/eva-database-participating-databases), sPlot (https://www.idiv.de/en/sdiv/working_groups/wg_pool/splot/splot_database.html) and GrassPlot database (https://edgg.org/databases/GrassPlot)
|Purpose||Vegetation classification, habitats classification|
|Maintenance Description||The data is updated after each field season|