The dataset comprises records rare species of plants and typical plants communities from Krasnokutsk hromada (commune) territory. That administrative area is northwest the Kharkiv region, Ukraine, and represents typical landscapes at the interface between temperate European forests and Pontic Steppes. Most of the area is covered by croplands. Wetlands, meadows, and forests extend along Merla and Merchik rivers. The dominant tree species in deciduous forests are Quercus robur, Acer platanoides, Tilia cordata, Fraxinus excelsior, Alnus glutinosa and Ulmus spp. Coniferous forests are Pinus sylvestris plantations, nature pine forests occupy small areas. The most interestin - habitats there are acidophilous fens in depressions in pine forests. Most currently of shallow marshes transformat into phanerophytic phytocenoses. The dominants are Betula pubescens, Populus tremula, Pinus sylvestris, and sometimes with Sphagnum mosses. However, a few depressions near Krasnokutsk still resemble true peat bogs, with developed Sphagnum floating mat, open water surface, and suppressed pine and birch woods. To protect them, the National Nature Park “Slobozhanskyi” was established in 2009. Since 2007, the primary outcomes of botanical research have been published in research papers, conference proceedings, and students’ theses. However, all of them were finally summarized in the Chronicles of Nature of the Slobozhanskyi National Park – a yearly updated report on inventory and monitoring programs. Most research gravitated to the territory of the National Park, but occasional observations of rare species of plants and typical plants communities from unprotected parts of the Krasnokutsk hromada also exist.
The data in this sampling event resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 205 records.
1 extension data tables also exist. An extension record supplies extra information about a core record. The number of records in each extension data table is illustrated below.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Ivanova K, Bezrodnova O (2023). Vascular Plants of the Krasnokutsk territorial commune (hromada), Kharkiv region, Ukraine. Version 1.5. Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. Samplingevent dataset. https://ukraine.ipt.gbif.no/resource?r=vascular_plants_geobot_krasnokutsk_kharkiv&v=1.5
Researchers should respect the following rights statement:
The publisher and rights holder of this work is Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY 4.0) License.
This resource has been registered with GBIF, and assigned the following GBIF UUID: e0761c21-7130-4da5-a2b9-bc969e11790c. Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park publishes this resource, and is itself registered in GBIF as a data publisher endorsed by Participant Node Managers Committee.
The territory of Krasnokutsk territorial commune (hromada), Kharkiv region, Ukraine. Most observations took place at the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park.
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [49.916, 34.843], North East [50.205, 35.629]|
|Class||Liliopsida, Pinopsida, Magnoliopsida, Polypodiopsida|
|Order||Celastrales, Caryophyllales, Asterales, Ericales, Rosales, Fabales, Fagales, Pinales, Poales, Malpighiales, Asparagales, Polypodiales|
|Family||Ericaceae, Poaceae, Fabaceae, Rhamnaceae, Rosaceae, Dennstaedtiaceae, Cyperaceae, Asparagaceae, Betulaceae, Caryophyllaceae, Pinaceae, Celastraceae, Asteraceae, Salicaceae|
|Start Date / End Date||2017-06-09 / 2023-06-15|
BioDATA grant for data mobilization including digitization, data quality assurance, data preparation, and publication of collection specimen and other species data from Ukraine to GBIF. Dataset preparation was supported within the project "Biodiversity of Krasnokutsk amalgamated territorial community (Kharkiv region)". More details on the grant program here (https://www.nhm.uio.no/english/research/projects/biodata/activities/data-mobilization-call-ukraine.html).
|Title||BioDATA Ukraine data mobilization grant program 2022|
|Funding||BioDATA partners, NLBIF, GBIF Norway, and the UiO Natural History Museum.|
|Study Area Description||The territory of Krasnokutsk territorial commune (hromada), Kharkiv region, Ukraine|
This dataset aggregates data from direct observations. Occurrences collected during the Park’s inventory and monitoring program, maintained by the National Park’s research staff. Most records had direct references to the occurrences, exact dates and places, checklists for territories. The scientific fieldwork methodology used in our research for determining plant types and their projected cover on the study site using the Braun-Blanquet method was detailed and systematic. The sequence of actions we followed during our fieldwork described in Step description.
|Study Extent||The territory of Krasnokutsk territorial commune (hromada), Kharkiv region, Ukraine. Most observations took place at the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park.|
Method step description:
- Location and Selection of Study Plot (Area): We chose a research location that held scientific interest and was relevant to our objectives, then established the boundaries of the study plot, determining its geographical coordinates and size.
- Primary Vegetation Assessment: We noted the soil types and microclimatic conditions at the study site - and complied a preliminary list of the main plant species that could be present on the study plot.
- Data Collection: All visible plants within each quadrat frame were documented. The projected cover percentage of each visible plant was precisely measured within the quadrat frame.
- Data Recording and Documentation: Collected data were recorded in field notes and compiled for subsequent analysis. Photographic documentation was captured to support our observations and plant documentation.
- Laboratory Analysis: After concluding fieldwork on the study site, plant samples were brought to the laboratory. Further measurements and analyses, including species identification, were carried out in the laboratory.
- Data Processing and Analysis: Collected data underwent statistical analysis and interpretation to obtain results regarding the projected plant cover on the study plot.
- Plant Sample Archiving: Plant samples were preserved for future research and archived in the appropriate botanical herbarium of Slobozanskyi Nature Nathional Park.
- Dataset creation: All data obtained was entered into an electronic field journal in the form of an Excel table and, over time, translated to the DarwinCore terms. We aligned taxonomy with GBIF Backbone Taxonomy.
- Bezrodnova O.V., Tymochko I.Ya., Solomakha I.V., Chornobrov O.Yu., Bondarenko H.M. (2020). Forest Typological and Phytosociological Assessment of Forest Vegetation in the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. Balanced Nature Management, No. 4, 157-168. http://journals.uran.ua/bnusing/article/view/226651
- Brusentsova N.O., Bondarenko Z.S., Ivаnova K.Y., Bezrodnova O.V., Skrylnyk Yu.Ye. (2021). Biodiversity and the Importance of Preserving the "Chapelnyk" Area and the "Cherneshchynsky" Local Hydrological Reserve (Kharkiv Region). Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference "Chornobyl: openairlab" (Kyiv, April 21-23, 2021). http://surl.li/lknvx
- Bezrodnova O.V., Ivаnova K.Yu. (2020). A New Site of Dracocephalum ruyschiana L. in the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. Biodiversity: Theory, Practice, Formation of Health, Conservation Competence in Schoolchildren, and Methodological Aspects of Learning in Educational Institutions: Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Online Conference (Poltava, October 30, 2020). http://dspace.pnpu.edu.ua/handle/123456789/15569
- Bezrodnova O.V., Chernishova G.O., Ivаnova K.Yu. (2020). Ecological-Cenotic Structure of the Boreal Fraction of the Flora in the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park. Biodiversity: Theory, Practice, Formation of Health, Conservation Competence in Schoolchildren, and Methodological Aspects of Learning in Educational Institutions: Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Online Conference (Poltava, October 30, 2020). http://dspace.pnpu.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/15570/1/9.pdf
- Bezrodnova O.V., Klech A.A. (2019). Plant Cover of the Coastal and Shore Zones of Forest Bogs in the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park: Features of Structure and Transformation Trends. Visnyk Kharkivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni V.N. Karazina. Series: Biology, No. 32, 5-17. http://seriesbiology.univer.kharkov.ua/ukr/32(2019)/pdf/5.pdf
- Bezrodnova O.V. (2019). Pine Forests with Stipoid Grasses in the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park as a Habitat for Rare Plant Species. Proceedings of the VIII International Scientific Conference "Environmental Issues: Current State and Perspectives of Solutions," Dedicated to the 10th Anniversary of the Hetman National Nature Park (Sumy, May 24-26, 2019). 35-37.
- Brusentsova N.O., Bezrodnova O.V., Saidakhmedova N.B. (2023). Plant and Microbiota Species from the Red Book of Ukraine and the Bern Convention on the Territory of the Krasnokutsk District of the Kharkiv Region. Biota of Ukraine, 2, 84-88. https://uncg.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Biota-Ukrainy-2_2023_compressed.pdf
- Braun-Blanquet, J. 1928. Pflanzensoziologie. Grundzüge der Vegetationskunde. Springer, Wien, AT.
- Braun-Blanquet, J. 1932. Plant sociology: the study of plant communities. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, US.
- Chronicles of Nature of the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park (2013-2022). Krasnokutsk.
- Biodiversity and the Importance of Preserving the "Chapelnyk" Area and the Local Significance Hydrological Sanctuary "Cherneshchynsky" (Kharkiv Region) / Brusentsova N. O., Bondarenko Z. S., Ivanova K. Yu., Bezrodnova O. V., Srylnyk Yu. Ye. // CHORNOBYL: OPEN AIR LAB / Brusentsova N. O., Bondarenko Z. S., Ivanova K. Yu., Bezrodnova O. V., Srylnyk Yu. Ye.. – Kyiv, 2021. – (1st International Scientific-Practical Conference). – Pp. 36–40.
- Bezrodnova O.V., Chernyshova H.O., Ivanova K.Yu., "Ecological-Cenotic Structure of the Boreal Fraction of Flora in the Slobozhanskyi National Nature Park" // Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian Scientific-Practical Online Conference "Biodiversity: Theory, Practice, Formation of Health Preservation Competence in Schoolchildren and Methodological Aspects of Study in Educational Institutions". – 2020. – Pp. 36-39.
- "Plant Guide of Ukraine: A Textbook" / M.G. Kholodny Institute of Botany, NAS of the Ukrainian SSR, A.I. Barbarich, Y.M. Bradis, O.D. Visyulin, M.I. Kotov, et al.; Ed. by D.K. Zerov. — 2nd ed., revised and expanded. — Kyiv: Urozhay, 1965. — 875 p.: ill.